Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Response 1: Help Japan, Win an SB Original

On Monday my boyfriend returned from a weekend trip to Florida. The first words out of my mouth (almost) when he returned? "So much happened while you were gone!" Crazy, world-shifting events like the ones in Japan change how we look at things. After reading this post Nicki wrote about her boyfriend's experience during the earthquake, it made me so grateful that mine was just a few states away.

I'll be the first to admit that I have never donated in the wake of a catastrophe. Don't get me wrong, I have my favorite, trusted charities to which I regularly donate, but I'm always afraid of the mishandling of funds during a catastrophe. However, the tragedies in Japan have resonated with me in a markedly different way. Maybe it's because Red Cross donations are smaller in comparison with Hurrican Katrina or the earthquake in Haiti, but I've been wanting to help. Also I'm a firm believer that even small donations can make a big impact on someone's life.

One thing that I've seen a lot of artists do is create and "auction" pieces or sell prints for donations to the Red Cross. I think this is such a cool, creative idea and maybe one way that I can help. I recently created the piece above and named it "Ocean" because of the way it reminds me of waves so I thought that was probably appropriate considering.

If anyone is interested, I'll give this piece (it's about 8x5") to the highest bidder, framed and signed by me (oh, I know, ooo, aahhh). I don't want to handle the money so the winner will just need to send me proof of donation to the Red Cross before I send it off. Please email me if you're interested in bidding through March 23. Whether or not anyone wants to participate, I'll still be donating and I hope you all will as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment