Saturday, May 21, 2011

See a pattern?

I've been thinking about trying to create repeating patterns with some of my designs. I guess because if I ever really wanted to make paper or fabric then designs have to repeat somehow.

I was inspired this week from news from the largest surface design tradeshow that was going on in New York, Surtex, so I decided to go ahead and take a crack at it. Surface design is "the art of changing the appearance of natural and synthetic surfaces by the application of traditional, stylized, digitized, and illusionary techniques to embellish a product." But first, please squint your eyes a little...


I got the instructions from Design*Sponge. Clearly I had some issues when it came to the part where you had to cut it up and tape it all backwards hence the weird lines, etc. but it's not terrible for a first try I think. Nothing was quite even though. I guess my dream of being a surface designer will have to wait for more practice. Maybe once I finish PR grad school, I'll start design school...

No comments:

Post a Comment