Monday, June 27, 2011

From Field to Oven: An Epic Tale in Three Parts

It all started yesterday when my poor, innocent brother and boyfriend were duped into accompanying me to nearby Homestead Farms to pick sour cherries. Sour cherries have a very short season and an even shorter shelf life so I get this inexplicable sense of urgency to pick, pick, PPPIIICCCKK! To the left is my brother picking away with thoughts of cherry pies, cherry cobblers and various other delicious baked items distracting him from the millions of random twigs scratching the heck out of his arms and legs. 

Then, if you thought the scratches were bad, the next step is even worse! (dunh dunh dunh) Next we pitted every single cherry. Since we picked about 11 pounds... it took a while, but not as long as last year when we had about 20 pounds. Don't ask me. The cherries are so juicy that it doesn't take long before your hands get all gross and pruny. You really have to work for those cherries.


Finaaallly, once I've made the boys do all the hard work, the fun part is next! I've been practicing for about 2-ish years now on my cherry-pie-lattice-crust technique solely in order to have beautiful pictures to share with people... oh and I guess pie to share, too... sometimes. Please note that I am displaying two of my hobbies in this picture: baking and running clothes (please don't confuse that with running though we actually did go running prior to my baking frenzy). I have to say that in the end, this was not my most attractive pie ever but I'm pretty sure that its going to taste pretty awesome because with fresh-picked sour cherries... you just can't go wrong. 

P.S. In case you are interested in such things, I used Martha Stewart's Pate' Brisee (sounds fancier than it is) recipe from her Baking Handbook and her Sour Cherry Pie recipe from her Pies & Tarts books. Yes, I need both of those books. I can't find the exact recipe online but it's basically 4 cups of cherries, 1 cup sugar, 1 Tb. flour, 3 Tb. corn starch. Easy peasy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment