Monday, October 24, 2011

Secret Projects & Monograms

You may remember a few weeks ago when I was talking about a secret project. Well, it was a secret because it was a wedding gift for a friend of mine.
Wilson_Monogram
At some point she had expressed an interest in buying some of my artwork, to which I was like... uh how about I just give you some. I haven't done a ton of commission work because I'm always nervous the person won't like it. But since this was a surprise wedding gift, I got really excited about it. I got the idea from the bed linens they registered for.
Marimekko Saarni Sage Bed Linens from Crate & Barrel
I wanted to make it personal so I sketched out a leaf motif similar to the duvet cover with a monogram.
I really wanted to put some of my block printing to work so I carved the leaf and the 'W' to print.

Unfortunately I couldn't really get the right color by mixing the inks AND I forgot to carve the W backwards... so I decided to scan in the prints and do the layout and color digitally.

I honestly am pretty happy with the result so I hope they like it. Their wedding yesterday was beautiful and I was so honored to be invited. Congrats to the newlyweds!

No comments:

Post a Comment